Get involved with student groups on campus 和 engage with sustainability 和 climate action through research, 教育, 激进主义, 或做志愿者.
- SGA Committee on 可持续性 works with students 和 administrators in developing policies 和 building infrastructure to increase campus sustainability, including energy consumption, 减少废物, 和 water conservation. 了解更多.
- 发芽纽约 provides college student-led environmental 教育 to public elementary schools across the city. Become a Sprout Up educator 和 help inspire young students with an appreciation for nature. Contact the Columbia chapter at firstname.lastname@example.org or 了解更多.
- 的 Barnard 社区 Garden launched in the summer of 2018, 和 consists of a small raised bed in the quad. We are currently exp和ing the garden, so if you are interested in gardening, 食物公正, or managing outdoor spaces on campus, reach out to the garden at BarnardGarden@gmail.com 参与其中.
- 的 Barnard Outdoor Adventure Team is a student-led group that embarks on hikes 和 overnights in the wilderness of New York state. 了解更多 or reach out to them at email@example.com.
- 的 Athena Fellows Program is a great opportunity to imagine 和 launch your own climate action project
- Work for our office as a student employee or work with one of our peer to peer 教育s programs: EcoReps (Active during move in 和 move out) 和 Sustainable 和 健康y Food (Active throughout fall 和 spring semester)
- Sunrise Columbia/Barnard is a chapter of the greater national 日出运动 to combat climate change. 了解更多.
- Extinction Rebellion Columbia is an affinity group of Extinction Rebellion NYC whose aim is to compel world's governments to address the climate 和 ecological emergency. 了解更多.
Student 气候行动 Grant
In the fall of 2019 we launched our Student 气候行动 Grant program. Ambitious proposals from students were awarded funding to support projects relating to climate action on campus. Check back for updates on our next application period.
- 的 Hysteria Club, funding for a sustainable period workshop 和 75 menstrual cups to give away.
- @Barnardfits was awarded funding to host campus wide clothing, dorm room 和 艺术 exhcange.
- Angelo Caglioti (History 教师) was awarded funding for speakers to take his class "Water Histories: Society, 环境, 和 Power in Golabl History" on field trips around NYC 和 to a NYC reservoir.
- Michael Wheaton (Psychology 教师), 克洛伊Capetanos, 和 Emma Ziessler of the Barnard Psychology dep艺术ment plan to study the potential barriers to using second h和 clothing including fears of contamination, emotional experiences 和 psychological factors.
- Cathedral Garden's 教师 社区 Garden was awarded funds to repair garden beds, create a vertical garden space, 和 install a compost tumbler.
- Keith Gabora (Head Grounds Keeper) was awarded funding for an electric lawn mower.
- 的 Barnard Garden Club was awarded funding to plant an edible garden 和 a perennial pollinator garden in Morningside Park
- Sprout Up was awarded funding to teaching young students how to grow their own edible plants. 的 grant will cover the cost of 种子, produce, soil, 和 compostable pots.
- 的 Design Center has been given a grant to cover the costs of research books, 种子, 和 growing supplies to st艺术 a natural dye garden.
- Emma Palmer ’20 和 Grace Palmer ’20 received $1,500 to create an interdisciplinary, site-specific performance at Black Rock Forest
- SGA 可持续性 Committee members Maggie Pahl ’20, 伊莎贝尔·奥坎波22岁, 和 Linda Chen ’23 received $350 to host a c校园CSA聚餐
- Barnard Garden Club leader Natasha Reich ’21 received just over $1,000 to install new planter beds on the Milstein Garden Terrace
- Isabel Kovacs ’20, Molly Shapiro ’20, 和 Wanja Waweru CC’20 received $660 to support Sprout Up
- Rachel Gates ’20 和 Anabella Barocas ’23, members of the SGA 可持续性 Committee, received $400 to host a public talk by Jennie Romer
- Rachel Gates ’20 also received $250 to help the College create 和 manage Zero Waste P艺术y Packs
Read more about the projects 在这里. Due to the rapid closing of the campus due to COVID-19, several of these projects were canceled or put on hold.
Off Campus 机会
使用 正规博十大app排名 to find off-campus internships 和 opportunities related to the fields of environment 和 climate justice. 例子包括:
- 哈莱姆长大 is a local non-profit aimed at educating youth about 食物公正 和 healthy living.
- 气候博物馆 is a new museum that uses science, 艺术, 和 design to evoke dialogue 和 innovation surrounding the challenges of climate change.
- 我们的行为 is a local non-profit based in Harlem that exp和s political p艺术icipation in communities of color to impact environmental decision making.
- Lamont-Doherty E艺术h Observatory is a center at Columbia for research into the origin, evolution, 和 future of the natural world.
- 412食物救援 p艺术ners with food retailers non-profits to aid those experiencing food insecurity.
- 无化石燃料指数 analyzes carbon emissions data in order to support the transition to a low carbon economy through responsible investing.
Other Helpful 资源
看看 Rheaply, our free exchange platform! A great opportunity to practice reuse on campus!
可持续性 Guide 2022; distributed to incoming first year students during NSOP, but great for everyone!