科学之路学者计划(SP)² 和E (SP)²
A program targeting first-generation, 和 low-income students.
科学之路学者计划(SP)2 – is a highly selective four-year program to support talented young women from low-income or first-generation college students, 谁表达了对生物学的强烈兴趣, 化学, 计算机科学, 环境科学, 物理学和天文学, 或神经科学. 被选为(SP)的学生2 Scholars will benefit from an exceptional set of opportunities 和 resources.
E (SP)2 is an NSF-funded program to prepare the next generation of diverse leaders in Environmental Science. The program is designed for students who intend on pursuing one of the majors in the Department of Environmental Science (Environmental Science or Environment 和 Sustainability) with an interest in Environmental Science, 可持续发展还是环境正义. The goal is to increase 和 diversify the Environmental Science major 和 workforce.
(SP)2 Scholars are supported by generous grants from the Arthur Vining Davis Foundations, 美国国家科学基金会, 以及布兰克费恩家族.
Personal match with a faculty mentor in the sciences. Mentors will help Scholars transition through the introductory science classes to the selection of a major. 学者将与他们的导师密切合作, who will serve as their initial academic advisors 和 help Scholars match to research experiences.
A week-long, all-expenses-paid trip to Barnard for entering Scholars. Activities include introductions to Barnard’s science faculty, 科学部门, 以及研究设施, 加上与同事的活动(SP)2 和E (SP)2 incoming First-Years 和 current Scholars involved in Barnard’s 暑期研修院.
A series of seminars, discussion sessions, 和 social events with other (SP)2 和E (SP)2 参与者和教师领导, beginning with a one-credit science journal course in the first year. Other events scheduled throughout all four undergraduate years at Barnard help build a collaborative 和 engaging environment 和 a network of mutual support among peers 和 near peers.
During the three summers of a Scholar’s years at Barnard, h和s-on lab research experiences with Barnard faculty will be available. Scholars will receive compensation 和 summer housing through Barnard’s 暑期研修院.
机会 to conduct research in faculty labs during academic year, plus mini-grants to help Scholars complete senior projects, 参加会议, 或者准备研究生申请.
教师 mentorship is a cornerstone of these programs. 学生 are assigned a faculty mentor in their first year who will guide them through the program 和 science opportunities. For more information about the faculty mentors, click on their bios below.
- 学生 must be applying to Barnard as first-year students.
- 学生 must demonstrate a strong interest in the sciences. Student must indicate an initial interest in a major in biology, 化学, 计算机科学, 环境科学, 物理学和天文学 或神经科学 和 select one of these to continue in the program all 4 years.
- 学生必须是低收入家庭, 根据财政援助材料的定义, or a first-generation student with parents who did not complete a four-year college degree.
- First generation or low income students who have demonstrated a commitment to science with a strong interest in 环境科学 are eligible to apply at the time of admission to Barnard or during the spring semester of their first year.
- For admission to Barnard in Fall 2023, if you are invited to interview f或(SP)2 you will have the opportunity to opt into consideration for E (SP)2.
- 学生 with less science experience are encouraged to apply during their first year at Barnard. 学生们 CSTEP 和 HEOP programs are specifically encouraged to apply during the Spring semester of their first year. Note that GPA is not the sole measure being considered during the application process, with passion 和 clear interest in pursuing a career in 环境科学 being considered.
All applicants to 外围十大菠菜app who meet the criteria outlined above are eligible. Submit your application to Barnard by November 1 for Early Decision or January 1 for Regular Decision. 表明你对E (SP)的兴趣2 或(SP)2 on the application, 和 include the required additional materials:
a) Complete the required short essay outlining your interest in pursuing science 和 science research.
b) Submit a recommendation from a science teacher or science mentor.
学生 admitted to Barnard will be notified of their selection as E (SP)2 或(SP)2 奖学金，连同录取在3月下旬.